« This Weekend: Kanji Armageddon | Main | Some thoughts on the Heisig method »

May 01, 2006

Kanji Armaggedon Results

Since I haven't done a comprehensive review in a long time, I blasted through all my flashcards this weekend. The review took much less time than I expected, primarily due to the method: each kanji got one trial and either went onto the "knew it" or "didn't know it" pile, instead of my usual method of reviewing less-certain kanji over and over.

Out of 625 kanji, I knew 88% perfectly. I'm pleased with that. Out of the remaining 12%, I was able to draw about half but ended up with misplaced elements. The rest I had absolutely forgotten. I plan to review the incorrect kanji and keep moving: I'm only a third of the way through Heisig's first volume and intend to finish it by the end of the year.

Permalink | Posted by Joe at May 1, 2006 02:15 PM


When you say "knew", what exactly did you know? How to read them, how to write them, both?

By the way, I plan to put an activity up on jj.com tonight I think you will find useful, enjoyable, and perhaps a way to make others interested in kanji an Japanese in a small way. Check it out when you have time.

Posted by: raize at May 10, 2006 01:25 PM

Good question! In terms of reviewing kanji in Heisig vol. 1, "know" means that I'm able to take a card with an English keyword and write the corresponding kanji. No readings yet (well, not via the Heisig method anyway); they don't come until volume 2, and I'm itching to get there ASAP!

Posted by: Joe at May 10, 2006 01:42 PM

Post a comment

Remember Me?